These Smore Shooters are the perfect dessert for a Smore Table…classy enough for adults and kid friendly as well. They are pretty simple and made with Marshmallow Frosting, Chocolate Glaze and Graham Cracker Crumbs. You will need close to 1/2 cup of Graham Cracker Crumbs. The secret to these shooters and any layered dessert (Trifle) is to be very neat and tidy with your layers. That means making sure each layer is smoothed out evenly and touching the side of your dish but also the sides of the glass dish are kept clean. If you slop on the side, take a cloth and wipe it otherwise the layers will not show properly because this is the visual appeal of this show stopping dessert. For creating this layered look in the shooter glasses, put your marshmallow frosting in a piping or ziploc bag.
This frosting recipe is from Jennifer Shea of Trophy Cupcakes and was featured on Martha Stewart Living.
- Yield – This recipe will fill 12 tall shot glasses with some leftover
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set over a saucepan with simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer bowl to electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix until combined. Use immediately.
I absolutely adore this recipe from the Whimsical Bakehouse by Liv and Kaye Hansen. I was fortunate enough to visit their bakery a couple of years back and I met them both. Their shop is incredibly cute and their bakery delights are out of this world and so creative. Their books are a wealth of knowledge and the recipes are second to none. I use this chocolate glaze over cupcakes, cakes and of course in the Smore Shooters. This recipe will keep for a while in the fridge and also freezes well!
- 12oz semi-sweet chocolate – chopped finely
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- In saucepan on med-low heat, heat the cream until bubbles start to form – watch it very, very closely
- Add chopped chocolate to med size bowl. Add cream and leave it for 2 mins. Slowly stir to melt chocolate (whisking quickly creates air bubbles)
- Add butter and corn syrup. If mixture is not completely melted together, put in the microwave in 10 sec intrevals.
The secret to these shooters and any layered dessert (Trifle) is to be very neat and tidy with your layers. That means making sure each layer is smoothed out evenly and touching the side of your dish but also the sides of the glass dish are kept clean. If you slop on the side and above the layer you are working on, take a cloth and wipe it otherwise the layers will not show properly. For creating this layered look in the shooter glasses, put your marshmallow frosting in a piping or ziploc bag. The glaze can be put in a bag but it will be in almost a liquid until cooled – use either a spoon or a ziploc bag.
Layer the following: put 2 tsp of graham cracker crumbs in each glass, marshmallow frosting, chocolate glaze and then repeat. If you are using a piping bag for the frosting, just swirl it in the glass but make sure it touches the edges. Once filled to the top, garnish with graham crumbs and chocolate chips.
Enjoy and send me your comments! Jo-Ann